Thursday, April 24, 2008

Corn or Flour?

So yesterday was La Casita on Anderson Lane - as Chomps says: it was wicked. Perfect Austin moment. Unassuming little place in one of those odd, semi-derelict strip mall type things. I went for the special: 3 for 2.59. Sad about the gringo-salsa, but I spied someone else spooning on some verde which I bet is fantastic. They do their own corn tortillas, for which I have mad respect.

So this begs the obvious question: corn or flour?

I was talking about it last night with an old friend of mine - a real south Austin-ite who's lived here for ages. He's got amazing taste in food (and life in general) and I always Hound him for taco tips. He waxed almost lyrical about the beauty of the homemade corn tortilla. He says they're having an up-swing here and is pleased as punch about it. Got me thinking. (He also gave us some fantastic south Austin taco tips - more on that later.)

Anyway, I've always been a flour Hound, but am starting to think I'm missing out on something.

I have two issues with corn: 1) they smell a little like bat guano (and/or spunk, I must say) to me. Fine things in their own right, but for breakfast? Not sure. 2) Texture. There's something so soothing about the silky smoothness of the flour tortillas that keeps me coming back. That odd rigid-floppy thing of the corn ones freaks me out a little.

I reckon I'll stick to flour for breakfast, but I'm going to give corn another go for the next non-breakfast outing.

I hope they're made fresh.

No comments: